Treatment for Infertility
The Southeastern Fertility Center specializes in providing the most effective, rapid, and cost-conscious treatment for all causes of infertility.
Treatment of the infertile couple may be either specific or empiric.
Specific therapies include, but are not limited to:
- Medical or surgical induction of ovulation.
- Medical management of specific hormonal disorders.
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis, adhesions, tubal damage or hydrosalpinx.
- Intrauterine insemination for cervical or male factor infertility.
- In Vitro Fertilization for severe male factor or tubal damage.
- Repair of varicocele or ejaculatory duct obstruction.
- Many others.
Empiric therapies are treatments that are not necessarily directed at a specific problem, but are nevertheless effective in helping couples conceive. They are used in two situations:
- When the infertility is unexplained
- When specific therapies have failed
The two most common types of empiric therapy are:
- Clomiphene citrate (with or without intrauterine insemination)
- HMG (Human Menopause Gonadotropins), or menotropins, plus intrauterine insemination
Empiric therapy with Clomiphene offers pregnancy rates of 5 - 9 percent per cycle, whereas empiric therapy with HMG offers pregnancy rates of 15 - 20 percent per cycle.
There are specific advantages and disadvantages to each type of treatment. Please call our office or make an appointment to discuss further questions you may have.